I’ve been a dad now for 15 months. And it’s been a wild ride.
I have been tested emotionally, physically, mentally, and spiritually. And with each new test, I learn something valuable about what it means to love and care for someone. And I mean, really love and care for someone.
One of the highlights of my day is seeing my daughter’s smile when I take her out of the crib first thing in the morning. It’s funny – I used to roll my eyes (figuratively, of course…I’m not a total a**hole) at people who would go on and on about their kid. I’d be like “whatever dude.”
Well…let’s just say I will show adorable pictures of my daughter to just about anybody with a pulse.
Even though I am a responsible, law-abiding dad now. I still like to have fun and mess around. So…
I compiled this list — which is both silly and serious. I am sure you will be able to figure out which is which.
Ten SIGNS…you’re READY to be a DAD
10. You are sick and tired of having a king sized bed all to yourself… and you really, really want more pools of drool soaking up into your pillowcase.
9. You think all those people who only take 15 minutes to buy 1 thing at the drugstore are ridiculous. You know it should take at least 2.5 hours to leave your house, buy some aspirin, and return to your house. It’s just common sense.
8. You know that life is full of ups and downs, highs and lows, and beginnings and ends. And you want to share each of those moments with a person whom you helped create out of love.
7. You love going to sleep at 8 o’clock on a Saturday night and waking up at the butt-crack of dawn every day of the week with a headache.
6. You really, REALLY want to wipe someone else’s butt. Hey – don’t look at me funny. You’re the one that wants to wipe it. I’m just writing what you’re thinking.
5. You are searching for a purpose in life. And you know that purpose is…holding your newborn child in your arms.
4. You know that not taking a whiz over someone’s inquisitive head and their swatting hand is just plain lazy. Come on, man. You need a challenge.
3. You are tired of coming and going as you please, and doing things on a whim. You firmly believe that all decisions should be made by committee. And that a 30 minute discussion on the merits of getting the mail – at that moment in time – is efficiency at its finest.
2. You love cleaning your home 25 times a day, and finding your phone resting quietly at the bottom of the toilet bowl.
….and the number one sign you are ready to be a dad…
1. You were interrupted at least 30 times while writing this blog post, and you enjoyed every interruption!
DADDY LOVES YOU, SIENNA!